Kuressaare (Estonian pronunciation: [ˈkuresˑ'sɑːre]), also known as Arensburg, is a town and a municipality on Saaremaa island in Estonia. It is the capital of Saare County and the westernmost town in Estonia. The population was 13,635 in 2017.
Restaurants in Kuressaare
4.5 based on 149 reviews
The castle was in much disrepair, but has been carefully restored. There is not much historic stuff like medieval swords, but the exhibits on the Soviet occupation and late 1800s and establishment of Estonian independence are very good, with some (not all) in English. Simply a Must Visit place. Be sure to walk around the ramparts.
4 based on 131 reviews
The sculpture, situated in front of the SPA Hotel Meri was created in 2002 by a renowned Estonian sculptor Tauno Kangro. The sculpture depicts Suur Toll (the Great Toll), a mythical hero of the island Saaremaa, and his wife Piret.Good to know:According to the Legend, Sorve peninsula was important to Toll, as from there he reached the shortest way to the island Ruhnu, where he had his cabbage field. When his wife Piret started to make a fire under the cauldron, then Toll went through the sea to his cabbage field and came back in half an hour, so that he could hand Piret the cabbages when the water had just started to boil.
4.5 based on 68 reviews
The establishment of housing and landscape gardening got into full speed in the second half of the 19th century when Kuressaare became thanks to discovery of medical mud one of the spa cities of Estonia. For park establishment and administration in 1861 was formed a park committee. Versatile help was offered by residents who donated money, seedlings and gave for work horses and vehicles. In 1930 new rare types of trees that were ordered from Tartu University were planted in town park. The plant life of park is rich, here you can find around 80 species of trees and bushes.Interesting to know:Town park is a former cemetery.
4 based on 135 reviews
Of three formerly functional windmills used within the city borders this windmill is the only one preserved. Initially this construction was known as the Trei windmill, after the name of its builder and owner. The windmill was built in 1899 and it was used until the beginning of World War II. The restoration of the windmill began in 1972 and it was reopened as a coffeehouse in 1974. The aim of the restoration was to preserve the initial constructions of the Dutch type stone windmill. Good to know: the windmill was declared an architectural monument of national importance. The windmill is 17 m high and if we include its wings then its highest point reaches 24 meters of height.
4 based on 44 reviews
The main square has some beautiful and historic buildings which are very photogenic. However, it is let down by not being pedestrianised.
4 based on 29 reviews
The monument was erected to commemorate those who lost their lives in the War of Independence (1918-1920). The author of the monument is Amandus Adamson, a well-known sculptor in Estonia whose best known work is the Russalka (mermaid) monument in Tallinn. The construction of the monument began in Italy in 1927. The monument was opened in 1928. Later 2 bronze plates were added to the monument containing the names of the inhabitants of Saaremaa who were wounded or have died in the war.Good to know:This figure is not the original. The original was tossed into the sea by Soviet troops and was never found. A local sculptor from Saaremaa recreated it.
The monument is found in the heart of Kuressaare (just along from St Nicholas' Church) and depending on your perspective this is either a good or not so good location. On the plus side it is easy to find and will consequently remain prominent in people's memories. For us, however, as the monument is surrounded by roads, there was too much traffic noise which was a shame, as there were some benches where it would have been possible to have a few minutes of reflection.
4 based on 27 reviews
The church together with the gates from dolomite and surrounding wall is under protection as architectural memory. The church built in 1790 is three-naved in low-key late classicistic style. Interesting is built at the same time three-part gate. On each side of its main entrance wall surface hang two half-columns with Doric serifs.Interesting to know:Church was built by order of Catherine the II. Since the congregation was established there were 30 priests.
Our visit was a lovely experience. Our group was standing outside looking at the building and the very friendly priest invited us in for a look. The church is lovely. There is also an interesting and beautiful fresco on the outside wall facing the street.
4 based on 18 reviews
One-naved classicistic Kuressaare St. Laurence Church was established at the current location in 17th century. Individuality to the church is given by decorative details from dolomite. The pulpit and altar wall of the church are hewed from dolomite, all along the building is surrounded by columnar balcony. In the church You can see the first Sauer instrument of Estonia, the only organ of Kuressaare city. Interesting to know: Unique baptismal stone comes from crushed in 1944 Ansekula medieval church;Altar painting „Kolgata” author is Carl Siegismund Walther;The Empire style pin broach is inspired by St. Petersburg buildings.
We'd stopped at approximately six churches churches in two days and this is the first one that has been open (at 10.30 on a Sunday morning - presumably prior to a service). The 17th century church is one of two in central Kuressaare and inside the most remarkable feature is its large dolomite balcony.
Since visiting, we've discovered the Visit Estonia website which has the opening times of this church (which are very limited e.g. closed on a Saturday and open for two hours on a Sunday) so we'd recommend checking this for latest information if you are keen to visit.
4 based on 15 reviews
A photogenic building which is part of Kuressaare's small square. We stayed in Kuressaare for two nights (Friday and Saturday in March), however, we were surprised to find that the tourist information centre, which is housed inside it, does not open on a weekend!
What is even more unforgivable is that it does not have any maps or information outside of the building (e.g. we've visited many places where leaflets are available in plastic dispensers outside of normal opening hours or alternatively there are interactive displays).
4.5 based on 6 reviews
Kuressaare Raegalerii is an art gallery whose Exhibitions are aimed at introducing the art heritage of Estonia as well as professional and amateur art created in Saaremaa. You can learn about the building of the Town Hall and its history if you are interested. The halls can be booked for festive occasions.
This galery is located in the Rathause, right near the tourism information centre and contains pieces of contemporary art. It is worthwhile to take a tour and to intorduce yourself with it :)
ThingsTodoPost © 2018 All rights reserved.