Discover the best top things to do in Burghausen, Germany including Burg zu Burghausen, In den Gruben, Zisterzienserkloster Raitenhaslach, Townhall, St.Hedwig Kapelle, Wallfahrtskirche St. Maria Himmelfahrt, Stadtsaal, Staatliches Burgmuseum, Handwerkermeile, Stadtmuseum Burghausen.
Restaurants in Burghausen
4.5 based on 264 reviews
Plan a half day to visit this historic site, built on a ridge overlooking the town. The river Salzach is also seperating Bavaria from Austria. The castle is one Kilometer long and is in excellent condition. Its less a tourist attraction and more a museum. Besides walking through a live-in castle, with moats, draw Bridges and dungeons, it has 2 main Exhibitions about medical life and medieval art. The entrance fees are only due if you want to see those exhibits, otherwise it is no charge to walk the castle grounds and into some of the buildings. Great photo back-drop!!.
4.5 based on 35 reviews
1225, The grüben (type of trenches, moat) mentioned in a charter as "fovea" (pit), in 1333 mentioned as Grüb. Predominantly houses of craftsmen, usually late Gothic, ever swamped by devastating floods, 1969-1971 a dike was built. Parallel with the Grüben the Messerzeile, mentioned in a 1408 Charter, where Locksmiths and craftsmen lived: nr 2 Bildhauerhaus (House JG Lindt), no. 6 Uhrmacherhaus (watchmakers house), nr 142 Malerhaus (workshop of many painters), Am Bichl (in 1408 Gasteig, later Am Bühel, till 19th century city dance house), nr 192 former Mautbeck, nr 193 Mautnerschloß (16th century Duke tax collectors-seat), Platzl (connection with inner fortifications with, dismantled, Spital-Torturm and upstream the moats of the Castle), the former Heilig Geist Spital with church, nr 249 birthplace of Anton Riemerschmid, and the Former Capuchin monastery with church.
4.5 based on 17 reviews
Make sure to have plenty of time because this one is big! On the compound one can find the monastery, the former Abbeychurch St. George and Pankratius Church, conventbuilding, the Prälatengarden with old vaulted corridor with frescoes, the old watermill, the troutponds (garded by 2 geese), a Water tower from the 16th century, former stables, the old brewery. Just outside the compound one can find the former icecellar (present a gymnastichall). If you are in group, book a guidetour. In that way one can visit the former popechamber and the partyhall (which otherwise will stay hidden as no private entrance. Raitenhaslach Abbey was a Cistercian monastery founded 1143. The monastery was disolved wit general secularisation in 1803. As the buildings were too big for private use, it was tried to sell. After a long search and several discounts only the lucrative parts of the monastery were sold, such as the brewery The majority of the buildings were demolished: the relatively new library building from 1785, the refectory and the so-called mathematical Tower. The other buildings and most of the immense inventory were sold to highest and was sold with a few exceptions to the kiloprice (the valuable books as recovered paper) to dealers in furniture, the works of art to wealthy citizens and the nobility, agricultural device to farmers from the surrounding area. The church became a parish church in 1806. The remaining buildings served since presbytery, school, brewery, restaurant and private apartments. Free parkinglot.
4 based on 18 reviews
Classicized facade dating back to the 14th-15th century, in which inside an impressive Gothic interior is hidden. In the immediate vicinity of the Town Hall are the Löwenbrunnen (17th century, Fountain bowl from 1975-1976) decorated with the heraldic animal of the former Bavarian Duke Henry.
4.5 based on 8 reviews
Outer fortress chapel, stands on the 5th outer courtyard. 1479-1489 Built (Ulrich Pesnitzer, Hans Pranthuber or Hans Wechselperger) commissioned by Duchess Hedwig and Duke Georg von Wittelsbach and shortly after their marriage in 1489 consactrated. The Chapel is considered as one of the most beautiful late Gothic buildings of Bavaria. A part of the Chapel is recessed in the Eastern wall, a small porch reasts on decorative red marble columns, on the corners of the front under baldaquins sandstone figures with an English greeting, at the left side Angel Gabriel, at the right side Mary. At the interior walls remains of late Gothic frescoes. There are also late medieval votive reliefs, from the same period as the figures under the canopies, it directly connects with the irregular cross rib Vault. The altar is not the original one but also dates from the late 15th century and is borrowed since 1959 from the Bavarian National Museum in Munich.
4.5 based on 7 reviews
This gem on the outskirts of Burghausen is the pilgrimage church St. Maria Himmelfahrt at the Marienberg. On your way to Raitenhaslach this colourful, twin-steepled pilgrimage church greets you on a hill high above the river deeply set into the countryside. It is also called "the Pearl of the Salzach valley"and is one of the most beautiful rococo churches in Bavaria.We arrived here by accident, as I thought this to be the church of monastery Raitenhaslach. The church was under renovation, and sadly the artist was not present. But through the 'grille' pix can be made. With the climb up the 53 steps it becomes clear that this ecclesiastical jewel is dedicated to Mary. The first three steps symbolize faith, hope and love and each of the following 50 represent a rosary prayer.There is also a small chapel at the stairs up to the church. We sat down on a bench, enjoying our picknick with this wonderfull view: the "pearl of the Salzach valley".
4.5 based on 12 reviews
This chapel can oly be visited when visiting the fortress museum (fee). 1225 Castle Chapel Romanesque Gothic, consecrated to St Elisabeth von Thüringen and founded by Duke Henry XIII. 1474 Bell in the Tower, late Romanesque core, changed late 15th- and early 16th century. At the ceilings of the single nave chapel 14th Century frescoes, at the choir wall frescos from 1400. Furniture: a 1524 Choraltar shrine and a 13th Century Gothic winged altar (from a chapel in Surheim, Laufen) installed in 1856 as replacement of the1778 original one. The altar shows sculptures from 1524: St Dionysius, St Barbara, Virgin and Child with St Anne, St Erasmus, St Philip, St Achatius St Margaret, St Catherine and St Andrew, into the predella is a relief of the lamentation of Christ, outside paintings from Gordian Guckh. The chapel is inserted into the narrow space between the Princes’ Building and the Knights’ Hall, connected with the ducal apartments in the Palas. The section of the chapel was reserved for the members of the duke’s family, the nave for the members of the court, who entered through the portal in the castle courtyard.
4.5 based on 6 reviews
The time-honored craft has an impressive tradition in the Salzach City. And where would this tradition be brought to life better than in the old city, in pedestrian Boulevard in-den-grüben. The interplay of gastronomy, shops, old crafts, craft and art, historic Street between the city square and the Mautnerschloss.
4.5 based on 4 reviews
This is a great small museum (but growing) within the walls of the old castle. There are currently two full floors to see, covering the history of the town and castle and a bit about life in a castle, including a virtual joust - I was unseated every time, whereas my wife was unbeaten.
A reasonable entry fee, and thin on crowds, this is a nice diversion if you make it up to the Burg.
ThingsTodoPost © 2018 All rights reserved.