Discover the best top things to do in Altotting, Germany including Heilige Kapelle (Gnadenkapelle), Kapellplatz, Basilika St. Anna, Sankt Phillipp und Jakob (Stiftspfarrkirche), Jerusalem Panorama, Altottinger Marienwerk (Dioramenschau), St. Konrad Kirche, St. Magdalena (Stiftskirche), Kongregationssaal, Wallfahrtsmuseum.
Restaurants in Altotting
5 based on 95 reviews
Many reasons to visit: place where the heart of Ludwig II is kept (with the ones of the other royals of this family). Also: doesn't matter if you are catholic, protestant or just of a serious spiritual bend, the place will soooooothe you. There are a number of other churches and religious buildings around this square. Altötting seems to me to be high on the list of priorities for pilgrims, especially those of have a special interest in Mary and the "Schwarze Madonna" von 1330.
4.5 based on 60 reviews
a bit empty for my liking. but nice for a stroll in the afternoon. I have been here several times, never seems to change much
4.5 based on 36 reviews
One of the finest in Altötting! Beginning 19th century was the largest church, the collegiate church, too small for the growing number of pilgrims. Thus arose in 1910-1912 St. Anna, construction style neo-Baroque (architect Johannes Schott): 83 m inside length, 27 m wide, 24 metres high, the largest church in Altötting. Maria men congregation bought the building plot. Patron was his Royal Highness Prince regent Ludwig of Bavaria. Leasehold went to the Bavarian Capuchin. Capacity: 8000, consecrated in 1912, in 1913, elevated by Pope Pius X to Papal Basilica. On the facade four large sculptures (each 1000 kilograms heavy!) remind of the ancestors of Anna: Adam, Jesse (father of David), David and Abraham. its interior was completed in 1917: large main altar, 12 side altars. The heart of the main altar was donated by Prince Regent Luitpold. The main altar sculpture (Leonhard Thoma) shows the Holy Anna with daughter Mary during her childhood. Effigy Pope Pius X, Prince regent Luitpold and former guardian P Dominikus Wierl.
4.5 based on 18 reviews
Make sure to walk around the church as it looks different from any angle. Abbey Church. During recent excavations a floor plan from 876 was discovered, built by King Carloman. 907 The monastery was destroyed after Hungarian disturbances. Ottonian Basilica anno 1000 was included in the Romanesque Basilica. It became too small for the growing number of pilgrims. 1499-1511 late-Gothic, last Gothic hall church in South Germany. 18.5 m wide, 48.5 m long, the vault coat-of-arms on 12 meters altitude. Two 57 m tall needle-towers with copper helmets. From originally interior: North and South portal in sculpted oak, more than life-sized crucifix on North wall, epitaphs on North and South wall. Various renovations 18th-19th century completely destroyed art treasures of Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque period, such as the stained glass, the choir and the Romanesque tomb of Karolinger King Carloman (never used). Preserved are: Romanesque West portal, main altar from 1800 with painting "Mary, helper of the suffering", choir with relief medallions history of Altötting scenes.
4.5 based on 16 reviews
We visited many Panorama musea, but this one beats all of them. It is truely a gourney, one can even climb down the stairs to check out how the setting emerges with the large painting. The Panorama is a 2-minute walk from the Kapellplatz (transit at Gasthof Scharnagl opposite Hotel Zur Post). Altöttinger Panorama was painted in a years time in the new building, opened 18 July 1903. Painted by Gebhard Fugel (1863 Ravensburg-1939 Munich), and partners Völkl and Krieger. A Panorama as free artwork was at that time unusual.
4.5 based on 9 reviews
The marienwork exists of a small movietheater were two versions of the 3unser liebe frau" are shown (one in black and white and one in color), these two "miracles" were the start of the pilgrimage of Altötting. The second display, the "Dioramaschau" is wonderfull to see. Some may refer to it as jocular (as modern tendencies must be loud, fast and blitz). We loved this display so much, such a painstaking work this must have been, but one by one these images are made with so much love one can feel it. History of the pilgrimage in 22 three-dimensional large images with more than 5000 characters. The basic idea comes from Bishop Ludwig Uttlinger. Important events of the 500-year-old “Our Lady” history which never made the actual movie are shown in the dioramas. Powerful Monarchs and praying crowds, how plague and war almost made a halt to the pilgrimage, and yet the power of “Our Merciful Lady” of Altötting is still worshipped. All figurines, hand made from plasticine, the designed landscape and a maximum of historical accuracy gives a vivid impression of a pilgrimage to Altötting. / The "Our Lady" black-white film begins with understanding in early days of Ötting, such as St. Rupertus and Emperor Charlemagne at the place of grace. In 1489 a 3-year-old boy fell into the Mörnbach creek and drowned. The desperate mother laid her son on the altar in the Holy Chapel and with other believers she started to pray, the child miraculously came back to life, which was the start fof the pilgimage haydays, according the legend he was later ordained as priest. The colour movie depicts the second miracle which took place shortly thereafter: a boy fell from a horse under Hay wagon and was run over, after pleas to Our Lady the following day he was healthy again. Also the devoted “Our Lady” whorshipper elector Maximilian I came to Altötting.
4 based on 8 reviews
Abbey church of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. In 1849 the 31 year old farmer Johann Birndorfer from Parzham near Rottal was accepted as a lay brother in the monastery and was given the name brother Konrad. He died in 1894 after an exemplary life in piety, poverty, humility and service as a Porter, and was canonized in 1934 by Pope Pius XI. The Church is built in 1657 in the early Baroque style, instead of a Tower a Flèche, the poygonale choir is built at the back as a lean-to, a single nave with organ empore, rounded Windows and an unadorned barrel-vault. Its baroque interior was removed in 1864 and renewed in Romanesque style. In 1953 the knighthood in Rome decided that former Church St. Anna could keep the title of Holy brother Konrad. Converted in 1960. The Church is as usual Fransciscan simple. Crucifixion group in the choir and central altar with canopy (Siegfried Moroder, South Tyrol) with underneath a glass sarcophagus which protects the main relic: the bones of Holy Konrad rest in a silver replica of the Holy man, his head in a separate housing. Opposite the main entrance of the church memorabilia of the Holy brother Konrad are preserved in a museum. Accessible since 1965 is the crypt in which brother Konrad originally was buried.
4.5 based on 6 reviews
Baroque Capuchin church and confessional Church. Origin associated with the Jesuits in Altötting (till 1773). 1593 Construction of a monastery and small church. 1697-1700 Current church in Jesuit Baroque style, built by Jesuit friar Thomas Troyer: 27 m long, 16 m wide, 17.5 m high. In the middle of the façade 3 niches with Mary (protector of Bavaria), Jesuit Petrus Canisius and Capuchin Lawrence of Brindisi. July 1773 the Jesuit order was dissolved, already by October the monastery had to be cleared. 1774 Priest House founded in the abandoned rooms. 1781 Emperor Karl Theodor Priory founded the congregation of Malta. Church and monastery left to the spiritual knighthood. 1791-1795 Large restoration Church. The Maltese cross on the façade reminds those. 1808 The congregation is lifted. 1841 Passed on to the Redemptorists, Church included. 1873 The Redemtionists were expelled from Germany. 1874 The Capuchin made their entrance, 2001-2004 renovation of monastery and the Church.
5 based on 4 reviews
1599 St. Magdalene founded by Mary men Congregation (Jesuits). 100 Years later the hall construction for the Sodalen of men Congregation, 1696 completed. 1870 Redemptorists built it higher, then creation ceiling fresco depicting Mary Ascension and St Francis of Assisi and Saint Ignatius of Loyola, as well as the life cycle of Jozef's foster-father. 8 Rectangular statues with Mary-values: the first represents most prominent Sodalen of Altötting, next to the sacristy door: Emperor Maximilian has his devotion to Mary written in a document, and wanted his heart to be burried at the foot of the altar of the miraculous statue of our Lady in Altötting. Left side hall: St Anthony of Padua with votive candles. In the altar niche stand, since 30 years, St Joseph and Holy brother Konrad. The altar itself is a masterpiece of 17th century Goldsmith's art. Part of the original altar the public altar adorns a copy, depicting "the proclamation of God's incarnation by the Angel Gabriel to Mary". The large statue above the sacristy door is consecrated to Maria notification.
5 based on 3 reviews
In 2008 Reverend Diocesan Bishop Wilhelm Schraml initiated the construction of a building to house the “old treasury”. Constructed between 1674-1677 (plan Enrico Zucalli). Exhibits display: votive offerings, liturgical instruments, jewellery and mementos, objects art history (ivory and lapis lazuli cross from a patrician family in Munich, a “golden horse” from 1400: a 62 cm high altar made of gold covered with precious stones and figures. To be seen is also the "Our Lady" Altöttinger Mary movie in colour with the history of the pilgrimage. The movie starts with the early times of Ötting, St. Rupert and Emperor Charlemagne on the place of grace. How, anno 1489, a boy falls of the Hay wagon and by some miracle on the altar of the Holy Chapel comes to life again (this was the origin of the flourishing pilgrimage). Also “Our Lady” worshipper Maximilian I of Bavaria undertook a pilgrimage to Altötting. In the 30-years war the Grace image was evacuated to Salzburg, in the folowing war of the Spanish succession it was moved to Salzburg once again, but the Altöttinger citizen defended themselves and so it remains there for ever.
ThingsTodoPost © 2018 All rights reserved.