Discover the best restaurant in Waterloo, Canada including Sole Restaurant and Wine Bar, Bhima's Warung, Ennio's Pasta House, Wildcraft, Ellison's Bistro, The Keg Steakhouse & Bar, Vincenzo's, The Bauer Kitchen, Lancaster Smokehouse, 271 West Restaurant
Things to do in Waterloo
4 based on 376 reviews
Sole is a lively restaurant that offers both inventive and traditional cooking delivered in an elegant yet casual atmosphere. The restaurant ambience is comfortable and appealing, providing quality food at the right price in an unpretentious way. To view are full menus please visit our website. Sole offers brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 am. until 4:00 pm.
I ordered a Cesar salad and prime ribs. The so called Cesar salad was a bit of lettuce with too much of a foul tasting salad dressing. The prime ribs was hard to cut and looked and tasted like a piece of rump roast.
The server and greeter knew we were furious but offered nothing
4.5 based on 264 reviews
Went for dinner on a weeknight.
Although the restaurant is called Bhima Warung, it is a South East Asian (Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesian) fusion restaurant as opposed to a purely Indonesian restaurant. It takes the flavours and spices of these regions and pairs them with staples such as artichokes, asparagus...Having just traveled to Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, I did not find anything I had to be authentic at Bhima. Having said that, the main that I had was good.
1. Taro Root Mash and ribs - the Taro Root mash was simply excellent It comes with three taro chips, crispy shallots, green onions and of mashed taro. I would go back to eat this, although it was $8.00 and was a side dish. The ribs were good. They are not served with any side, so you need to buy this separately. These are not authentic Indonesian style ribs, but the rub on them was not overpowering and it was not oversauced. Not the best ribs I have had, not the worst. Very large portion sizes. I was too full to have a dessert. Although there were some pickled elements, I definitely missed the usual pickled and finely chopped vegetables, condiments and sauces that are served with ribs, well actually with almost every meal, in Indonesia. The cocktails are generous too.
2. Service - I was greeted warmly by the hostess and my winter jacket was hung up on the coat rack. There were two waitresses working. They moved very fast. Our waitress always checked on every table and was very helpful. I had a problem with my cocktail being overly sweet and it was kindly switched for me and prepared to my liking.
3. Menu - there is a vegetarian menu available upon request. It has about 6 or 7 items. Most of the menu is seafood and fish heavy, with a couple of expensive beef or lamb options.
4. Location - on King street north? of University- easy to get to by public transit or driving - parking lot on the side of the building.
1. Decor - it is eclectic not necessarily in a good way and a bit too dark for my liking. It is Balinese on the walls, Industrial in the ceiling and 80s on the tables. The exterior is in serious need of some TLC and the entrance is not obvious if you do not park in the lot.
2. Desserts - I tried a spoonful of my friends ice cream as she had ordered the fried banana dessert. I found the ice cream to be too grainy and the coconut on the plate was too coarse. I opted for a liquid dessert because I was full. My white eclair coffee was OK, but they were not overly generous with the Godet. I don't think my friend was impressed with the lack of rum butter sauce that was supposed to be part of her dessert. I am also not sure why a white chocolate coffee drink was adorned with a pineapple slice.
3. Waiting - the food did take some time to come, but you are forewarned of this on pages 1-2 of the humorous menu...which might need some updating particularly with the Indonesian words and phrases. It was not an incredibly long wait, but it might be worthwhile to order an appetizer if you are starving. Drinks were served within a reasonable amount of time. We came early though. The restaurant appeared to be completely full by 7:00 pm.
4. The restaurant is not on Opentable or any form of online instant reservation. You have to wait for the restaurant to call and confirm your reservation, which it does within 24 hours. Reservations are a must as the restaurant is small and is popular in the area, so this practice is a bit cumbersome.
1. Music - perhaps I noticed this more as I arrived early and was waiting for my dinner guest. It is all over the place from country, to Buddha Bar lounge, to jazz, to rockabilly and Buena Vista Social Club when we were leaving. There were some good songs, but I have never listened to such a dysfunctional musical mix in my life. I hope they change this as this jack of all trades master of none musical selection is jarring and was the worst restaurant music I have ever heard. This is the main reason along with the darkness of the restaurant that my ambiance score and therefore overall score is so low.
2. Pricing - I think everything is overpriced for the region. Some of these prices would even be too much by Toronto standards.
Overall, it was a good visit. I would give it another try and I wouldn't have a problem recommending trying the mains as it is a decent fusion restaurant with good service.
4 based on 216 reviews
Our favourite date night restaurant! I ALWAYS order the cappelletti but opt for alfredo sauce as I have never had better alfredo than here, wish they sold it by the jar!! Food always comes quickly, salads arrive very soon after ordering. Only downside is sometimes the wait staff can forget about you and you feel the need to track them down. Otherwise amazing!! Glass bottle Coke is a great touch :)
4 based on 504 reviews
Waterloo's Premiere and private dining venue. Providing high-tech hospitality for your dining needs in the Waterloo region.
Third time to this restaurant over ten yrs and this is the final time. I don't post reviews unless I'm appalled by treatment.
Group from Waterloo and area
A) Told after the first drink ordered they were not serving drinks until dinner, wtf!? FYI, I don't go out to eat to be monitored or told when we can order drinks especially when I'm pregnant and not drinking. When they came with dinner had to tell the wait staff (because they weren't offering) we want wine for the table with dinner. Didn't bring the wine then I had to tell the manager, finally brought wine at the end of dinner, too late!
B) salad was super salty, should have sent the salad back.
C) the one waitress had serious attitude
D) no offer of milk or sugar with coffee
E) after complaints to the manager about service and drinks she tried to be on top of service but that's the end of supper,ruined everyone's night of celebration, too late in my opinion.
If there are only two of you, want water for supper and overpriced food go here. Should have read the reviews because we are not the only one who got shoddy service from this establishment when in a group of people.
4.5 based on 131 reviews
We expected good food. Soup was excellent. Then it all went downhill...my pumpkin fritters were microwave defrosted, My Roti was out of the fridge, stuffed then rolled and served...cold. I sent it back. Was microwaved and brought back. My wife's fish was steamed dry with day old rice and beans. I so want this place to succeed but their passion for good food served with generosity and joy has disappeared. What do you really like to cook? It was a Saturday night and only 2 tables were full. Find your passion and your tables will fill.
4 based on 268 reviews
Our first visit to this local favorite steak house was enjoyable, worthy of a return visit. Upon entering you are greeted warmly and offered Seating choices, either in the main dining room or the bar lounge area. For our early dinner arrival we opted for the bar area with large screen televisions for sports fans, tables for two as well as large ones to accommodate as many as ten people in your party. Upon being seated, we were immediately served water and then a large warm, crusty bread that was tasty and addictive, which was a nice touch. There are many options for imbibing, from beer, cocktails to wines. We choose two wines by the glass, both priced around $13 for nine ounces, a J. Loir Cabernet from California and a Henry of Pelham Cabernet/ Merlot from Ontario. The
Californian had bigger fruit, but the Ontario wine had better balance and more length.
Although they are known for Steaks, there are fish options, ribs and chicken entrees, but we choose a burger, with all of the fixings and a bacon stuffed chicken, leg and breast with Asiago cheese. Both were winners, one with crispy fries and the garlic mashed potatoes. The bill with tax and gratuity was around $100, which was a good value for the quality food and presentation. Let’s not forget the outstanding service provided throughout by Lexus, who was personable, courteous and very professional! The Keg offers a warm friendly atmosphere that will enable any party, large or small to have a great time with good food, drinks and very fine service! Highly Recommended!
4.5 based on 521 reviews
You will be amazed what food this guys can prepare for you. Some. Amazing sandwiches, good salads, and cooked meals are great. Sushi is ok, nice desert bar and you can do your groceries in the same time. The European produce you find here are amazing. What I love sometime they have those try food stands and you could try realy good cheese or some other food. Great experience.
4 based on 482 reviews
We stopped by here for our Valentines dinner and had, yet another, great experience. We both had steaks, which were cooked perfectly. The atmosphere was excellent and our server Kathryn was great. We will return, as we always do.Hi Scott, Thank you for visiting again and for your review! Can't wait to have you again!
4.5 based on 680 reviews
I can't rave enough about this place. The staff is amazing, the food is sensational and the atmosphere cozy. This is our go to place always. It's a fabulous smokehouse with huge portions for the price. We've never left hungry or without leftover's. I highly recommend the brisket. Plus they're the only place I know that sell southern style cheese grits.
4.5 based on 455 reviews
I don't love the ambiance of this place. The food is solid - tasty and satisfying, but not the best I've had. What brings me back is the care and concern of the owners. They walk about the restaurant, asking every patron how the food is. When you leave, they say "thank you" and "goodbye" like they're privileged to have you there! This kind of service - and warmth - is a rarity these days.
ThingsTodoPost © 2018 All rights reserved.